Wednesday, February 29, 2012

If You Don't Have an Emotional Reaction to This Post, There's Something Wrong With You.

For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, you know that a while back, I posted about how I wanted a sewing machine.  I was totally looking for someone to say, "Oh hey, I've got an extra, brand new, in the box, sewing machine just laying around, and it is super duper fantastic and so are you, so here you go I'm just going to give it to you."  But no one said that.  And that was OK by me, although at the time, I'd sort of wished since no one said that, it was because they were just going to go out and buy me one.  (Boy, you think I expect a lot of my friends, huh?  Not really.  That's just me living in my little fantasy world where me and all my friends are filthy freaking rich and famous and all that good stuff.  So see?  I am spreading around the wealth and good cheer in my brain to everyone.  Are you confused now?  Don't worry.  Me too.)


Anyway, the point is that I never got a sewing machine.  But guess what?


I'm now getting a sewing machine.


But I don't want it.


It is my mom's.


She called me on the phone the other day and we were chatting about some things, and then just out of the blue, she said, "Oh by the way, the next time you are over here, please take my sewing machine home."  And Joshua was home so I stifled my sob, and practically whispered, "Are you sure?"  And she said, "Yes.  I'll never use it again."  And a small soft sob came out and I bit my hand to make me stop crying.  Because I didn't want Joshua to hear me.  And that worked because I bit hard enough that it hurt like hell.  Oopsie.  I could totally be a Twilight vampire.  Maybe I'll get some red contacts one day. Oh no wait, I need Amber ones.  I don't want to be a Volturi.  They are gross. . .


Anyway, I digress.


So I will have totally a bittersweet attitude when I go over there to get it.  Sigh.


The other part of my post today is also bittersweet.  And it also has to do with sewing.


Years ago, as a present to my mom, I "bought" her a quilting class.  She'd always wanted to try it, and so I gave her the classes for some kind of occasion.  And she made her first quilt, and I said to her, "I want one too!!!"  And then I proceeded to watch her make quilt piece after quilt piece after quilt piece.  And none of them was a quilt for me.  That's a total bummer, right?  I mean, I bought her the classes! 


Fast forward a couple of years.  I met my lovely husband.  We were getting married.  And so I said to mom, "BOY, you know a quilt would be a great wedding present."  So we finally went, and I picked out the fabrics that I liked and my mom went to work.  I don't remember the name of the quilt block I picked out, but it was very pretty and it sort of looked like pinwheels.  So I waited.  When she finally got it all pieced together, she showed it to me.  And it was going to be gorgeous!  And so I then waited for her to quilt it.


And I waited.


And I waited.


Jamey and I have been married for just over 15 years now.


I got a phone call the other day.  It was my mom.  She said, "Hey.  If I told you that if you came over here right now, for something that would totally be worth your while, would you come?"  And I said, "Yes."  And she said, "Well come over."  It took me a few minutes, because Joshua was at children's choir and I had to wait for Jamey to get home to make sure someone was home when Joshua got home.


So I drive over not knowing what it could possibly be.  As I pull in the driveway, someone else is at the house, so the only thing I can think of is that my BFF, Yvette, has come into town to see me!  And then I think that's silly.  My dad greets me at the door and tells me to go back to the guest bedroom.  I walk in, and the first thing I see is my mom and her friend, Carol, standing there with cameras pointed at my face.  And I'm all excited because I mistake them for paparazzi at first, and I think that I'm finally really famous, and that my blog has gone all viral and Barbara Walters must be standing in the wings waiting to do an interview with me.


OK.  No I didn't think that.  I totally knew it was my mom and Carol.  But wouldn't that bit about paparazzi be much more fun?  I think so too.


Anyway, there they are standing there and snapping pictures.  And then I glance down at the bed, and drop my purse and gasp.  I'm in shock.


It's my quilt.


It is so pretty.  Carol's sister, Mary Ann, heard about my mom's quilt and got it from her.  She machine quilted it.  It's got a gorgeous pattern of leaves all over it.  Like they are floating in the wind.  It's so pretty.  She did it for nothing.  And I look at it and I start to cry.  


I love it.  I will always treasure it.  


I have to say a HUGE thank you to Carol and especially to Mary Ann for finishing it for my mom and me.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.


Just so you can see it - here is a picture of it.  You must ignore all the things in this room except for the quilt.  The paint color was here when we bought the house, and the room is not coordinated at all.  But I wanted you to see the quilt and how gorgeous it is.  I'm so proud of it.  Here it is:

See?  Most Beautiful Quilt in the Universe.
I love my mom.  

Happy Day, folks!

4 comments:

  1. The name of the quilt pattern is "Pinwheels".

    Love Ya
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome. Glad you both like it. It was a pleasure to work on. If your half the quilter your mother is you'll be winning blue ribbons before you know it. Best wishes to you and your mom. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so darn touching, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. notice the other quilt on the wall above the bed... another beautiful Mimi creation! Hey Cancer... F You!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.