Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Official - I'm Out of My Mind

Yep.  Sure am.

As of this morning, I am officially signed up to run the 2011 SunTrust Richmond Marathon on November 12

Wait, let me check again.

Yep.  Completely out of my mind.

If some of you recall one of my earlier posts (Carolyn, the Racing Lunatic), it looks as though I have some work to do.  If you don't remember what I'm talking about, then you must read the post I've linked to.

I don't know what has possessed me to train for another marathon.  I guess part of it is the fact that I haven't done one in quite some time.  Since Joshua was born, I really haven't participated in many races.  I used to do several races each year before he came along.  I have done two marathons.  I guess I am possibly trying to rediscover that part of me again.  This, however, is partially how I know I'm crazy.  Because seriously, do I really have to do an entire marathon?  What's wrong with a 10k?  Or a half marathon if I really want to push myself?  I'm not sure.

I think another part of it is that my lovely, husband, Jamey ran one last year.  And he has given me two reasons to try it again.  Number one, he ran one.  Therefore, I am jealous.  (Hey, at least I'm honest!)  And so now I want to do one.  And number two, he ran it with a training team.  OK OK, some of you know that the first marathon I ever ran was through a training team.   But there's a difference.  The difference is that, that training team sucked.

OK.  It didn't really suck.  It served its purpose.  It was a Jeff Galloway training program.  But the program directors were not the best at helping us train.  Basically, they showed up, set up aid stations, handed out maps, and said good luck.  We were lucky (those of us in the slow groups) if we saw them when we got back from our runs.  But I want more out of a training program.  And Jamey promises me that this group is different.

Plus, my first two marathons were done using the run/walk technique.  I had a watch with dual timers on it.  I'd run 10 minutes.  Then I'd walk for two.  Over and over again.  And eventually I'd peter out in the final six miles somewhere and walk for a while and run at the end.  So this time, I have a goal.  I truly hope to run the whole race.  I don't want to walk. 

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .I also have a super secret goal to run it in 4:45 or less.  If I run it in 4:30 or less, I will no longer stick to my promise not to look like a lunatic at the finish line and will post the picture on my blog.  But ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

My first training run is Saturday morning at 7am.  And we go for 5 miles.  WOOT WOOT!  Wish me luck in my training!

Happy day folks!

1 comment:

  1. Wow- you are my hero!! I'll be there cheering for you- I can hardly make it 45min on the eliptical!!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.