Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Magic Moments? I Don't Think So. . .

OK, so first of all, sorry it's been a few days.  I have been busy. 

Second of all, I have to say that since this blog is all about me and what I want to write about, today's subject is about God.  So if you aren't into God, well I'm not going to apologize about it or avoid the subject.  I believe in Him, and it's my blog and so I can write about Him if I want to.  So you can either ignore it, or if you want, you can read it and just enjoy it for what it's worth.  Enjoy it for the fact that it is someone else's experience. 

People talk about magic moments, but I think those moments are actually God moments.  The really special moments all seem to revolve around life, love and death.  Here are a very few of my favorites that I like to think about.   And these happen to be in the order in which they happened.

The day I first saw Jamey, I had no idea he was my husband.  At first, I thought he was someone I knew in high school.  He actually had a very curly mullet.  Which doesn't sound all that attractive, but trust me, somehow, even in 1993, he could pull it off.  However, my first real God moment in loving came about three weeks later.  It was the night before Thanksgiving, and Jamey was leaving for Georgia to go visit his dad and stepmother early the next morning.  I can remember this moment so very well.  We had been smooching (for almost 21 days straight by this point), and right after a super nice smooch, I distinctly remember looking at him and it was so very clear to me that I was looking at my husband.  That magic moment was a definite clue in from God that I was supposed to know something very important.  I knew without a shadow of a doubt that Jamey was going to be my husband.  And God must have also clued Jamey in to that because he kind of grabbed me by the shoulders and said very seriously, "Don't ever look at me like that again unless you really mean it."  I have no doubt that God was holding a bunch of flashing neon arrow signs at Jamey and yelling at the top of his lungs, "Carolyn!  It's THIS one!!!!"

My second God moment was about life.  The day that Jamey and I went in to see the baby in my belly who would become Joshua.  And we saw him at about eight weeks.  And he was moving.  And his heart was beating.  And it was surreal.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't have to wonder though, how it happened.  (Duh.  I mean I know how it happened in the "scientific sense".)  I know that God had everything to do with putting the "uncapturable" essence of life in me.  He was the one that put it there inside my son's developing body. 

The third God moment has to do with death.  Jamey's grandfather passed away recently.  And his son, Barry, was there with him.  Barry was watching him, breathing in and out and then he said all of a sudden, the breathing changed.  Just a little, but it changed.  And then he watched as his father lifted his arms straight up into the air.  Reaching.  And then he passed away.  Of course he was reaching for God.  He saw him and he went.  That's not magic.  That's God.  That's better than magic.

And then my most recent God moment happened just today.  My little guy and I were driving over to a doctor's appointment this afternoon.  We were on a highway, and the sun was shining brightly and there were huge puffy clouds in the sky.  And all of a sudden, Joshua said, "Look mommy.  That one looks like God."  Magic?  Nope.  I bet he did see God.  He's only four.  I bet there's still some part of him, a teency little part that still remembers what he looks like.  I think it's sad it fades away.  But he still remembered today.  What did I say to Joshua?  I said, "You're right buddy.  That does look like God."  And then we waved and said "hi" to God.  Because if we acknowledge Him, maybe we'll be lucky enough to get a few more magic God moments in our lives. 

1 comment:

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.