Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creativity Rocks! I Just Wish it Paid More. . .

A few quick personal notes and a shameless self plug this morning before we get to the topic of the day.  So first of all, I went running yesterday morning.  And holy heck am I sore today.  I did my usual six miles outside.  It was wonderful while I was running.  I felt really good.  Yippeeeee yesterday!  I am so sore today that I can hardly walk.  Boooooo Today.  Also tells you how long it's been since I exercised.  I stepped on the scale this morning and a slightly different phrase from "holy heck" came out of my mouth.  I won't say what it was, because my mom reads this.  Hi mom.  Love, your angel of a daughter. . .

And I entered a short story contest!  You had to provide the first line, and it had to be twenty five words or less.  If I don't become a finalist, I'll post the story on here, and you can tell me if you liked it.  And for now, you can tell me if you liked my first line.  It went with a picture.  The picture was of a young woman, dressed in a cute cocktail dress.  She is cracking open a door and is probably just about to see what is behind the door.  My sentence was this:  Unable to shut the door, I feel cold air rush around me, and an old frightening smell envelops me and transports me back in time.  I hope that is intriguing enough to make them want to find out what it is all about.  Either way, you all will find out.  :)

And finally, my shameless self plug.  I now have a Facebook page that is specifically set up for my blog.  I will hopefully be writing on there in the future about me winning writing contests and maybe even getting published one day.  So I hope you go on there and "Like" the page.  Here I'll even give you the link.  It's Carolyn's Blog.  Or you should also be able to type it in your search on Facebook and find it.  Thanks.  (totally blushing)

AND NOW. . .for today's topic.  Wait a minute.  First I MUST start a load of laundry.

OK.  Here we go. 

I have finally figured out why I never really liked any job I ever had.  And don't get me wrong.  I liked the people I worked with a lot, and that says something.  It makes it bearable to go to work.  But I've always been jealous of people who love their jobs.  And jealous of people who have, like, real careers.  But I never bonded with my jobs.  You know why?  Because I have discovered through this whole writing thing, that ultimately, I am a creative person.  I think that's really cool.  But guess what?  Most real jobs don't involve any creativity.  They involve the side of your brain that, frankly, I'm not interested in at all.

No wonder I loved taking art classes in middle and high school.  No wonder I took drama one year.  Heck, I even liked wood shop.  But the really sad part about all this wonderful creativity is that generally, you don't make any money at it.  Unless you have a ton of talent, and face it, a little bit of luck too.  That's a complete and total bummer.

I like to paint.  I like to sing.  I like to write (that's a new one, but boy do I really enjoy it).  I like cooking and baking.  I even like to do silly creative things, like draw pictures on my son's snack bags before preschool every morning.  Of course, I have to laugh about that one though.  I took probably 5 or 6 years of art classes.  And all my drawings are stick figures and very primitive.  But Joshua likes looking at them a lot, and I like making them, so who really cares?  He even saves the empty bags every day so he can look at them on the way home.

So one day, when Joshua goes to "real" school, I am probably heading back to the work force.  But all I want to do is stay at home and make stuff and write stuff and read stuff.  Anybody got a good job that incorporates those things that I can do?

Do you, my loyal readers, do you understand what I am talking about?  Do you have creativity flowing through your veins screaming to get out?  To the point you'd like to ignore everything else in your life sometimes? (Hence why I had to stop my post writing a little bit ago.  The laundry is out of control.  Again.)  It's almost overwhelming sometimes. 

I used to think I was lazy, and that's why I wouldn't get housework stuff done sometimes.  But maybe it has more to do with this crazy need now to sit here at my computer and write on my book.  Or knit or crochet something.  Or bake a delicious coconut cake to share with my best friend (and my neighbor friends too because there was so much.  I still dream about that cake.)  Please tell me I am not crazy.  Please tell me there are more creative souls out there who understand what I am talking about.  Siiiiigh.  I just love being creative.  I am in love with being creative.  Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.