Monday, November 22, 2010

OK, Fine. I Have Some Peculiar Habits I Guess. (OCD Maybe?)

First of all, I wrote a post about my beautiful sleepy boy over the weekend.  Hardly anybody has read it.  And I love it.  So please go read it.

Real quick, we decorated for Christmas yesterday.  I know it's a little early, but we have a lovely guest coming for Thanksgiving dinner, and so I wanted it to be done before she got here.  Plus, we are the type that are itching to take the decorations down, like, the day after Christmas.  So we need to put them up earlier to enjoy them.

However, I am on edge until after Christmas this year.  We bought our pre-lit Christmas tree, ohhhhh let's seeeeee. . .I think in 2000?  So it's going on its 10th year.  And the pine needles all over the floor are impossible.  It is shedding worse than a real tree that hasn't been watered for the entire Christmas season.  And those pre-lit lights?  Well I am waiting with nervous knots in my stomach till after Christmas.  Because three separate rows of branches had massive portions that did not light up when I plugged them in.  They finally flickered on; however, that does not bode well for the remainder of the season.  Hopefully it will last, and then we have to think about getting a new one.  Anyone like to go shopping the day after Christmas?  And if you do, would you pick us up a new Christmas tree?  I'll give you the money and everything.  Thanks.

So we were at church on Saturday night and I got to talking with a friend of mine.  She was upset because someone was sitting in her and her husband's seats.  Now, I know that we are supposed to be good Christians and should be happy that there are new faces coming to our church and all, but I knew exactly what she was talking about.  As a church, we talk about how we all don't like change.  It is scary and uncomfortable, but it is also necessary for transformation. 

That said, I can relate to her.  I have scared people out of "our seats" just by "teasing them" about it.  Because frankly, those are my seats.  I'm OCD that way.  I can't help it.  There are lots of things I can't control in my life.  But if I don't get to sit in my same seat at church on Saturday nights, I'm really kind of cranky.  I know this is not making a good showing for my Christianity, but I am just trying to be honest and real.  I recognize it is a large character defect of mine.  I'm working on it, OK?

Want another example?  Years and years ago, when Jamey and I were just dating, we were paying bills together.  He had brought his over to the apartment I shared with my good friend Jen, and we sat there doing our own bills when he asked me for a stamp.  I handed him the book of stamps I had with all my stuff.  I watched as he started to take one out of the book.  On the wrong side.  So I said, "Jamey, please take it out in order."  He looked at me like I was crazy.  "What do you mean?" he said.  So, I showed him how on the other side I had taken one row out already, and then I said that he needed to take the one on the left in the next row.  And he started laughing at me.  And then he did something truly horrible.

He flipped over the book of stamps, and he took one directly out of the middle of the book.

I immediately grabbed the book of stamps back and also the stamp he had taken out.  I proceeded to line it up perfectly and put it back in the book.  (Although that book of stamps was ruined now, as far as I was concerned, but I was poor so I had to use it up.)  I asked him how many he needed (in a not very nice voice).  And he was all, like, "Are you kidding me?"  and laughing even harder now.  Which made me even more angry.  Then he realized I was quite serious.  And he stopped laughing.  I think I scared him a little.  Kind of like the people I teased about sitting in our seats.  Anyway, so now, some fifteen or sixteen years later, he still has to ask me for stamps.  And I get them from their little secret hiding place and will give him however many he needs.

Is that wrong?

I don't think so.

Do you all do anything like that?  I will not apologize for it or think I'm crazy.  Stamps need to come out in the right order!!!!  And there should be assigned seating at church.  That's all there is to it.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, I KNEW I liked your husband when I met him that night at the Positive Vibe!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.