Friday, October 29, 2010

Another Book Update!

I am still very excited about my second post from yesterday!  I have had several people say they think I should go for it and submit my book into the contest.  So I think I will.  I am going over and over and over the first 50 pages right now to make sure they are as good as they can be since that is step one in the contest process. 
I must also admit that I am a bit nervous, and I realized almost as soon as I posted about the contest that I just pretty much told everyone I was going to enter.  Then I had a moment of horror - what if I don't win?  I mean the chances are probably not extremely high that I would win.  Let's be realistic.  Then I've entered it, and everyone knows, and I didn't win, and what will people think of me?  Will they think I'm a horrible writer???


Then I thought, you know what?  They'll think, oh cool.  Carolyn entered a contest.  And she didn't win.  But big deal.  At least that is what I'm going to tell myself you all will think.  Because I think you all are supportive of the effort that I've made.  It's not really about how good the book is.  Right?


I thought about trying to finish my second book by the deadline too.  If I did, I could put another entry in.  I'd have to pay two entry fees.  So that would be a lot, but still.  I feel like this second book is more what I would like my overall writing style to feel like. 


I have had one or two friends say I should post an excerpt of my book here.  I am still unsure about this.  But I might.  It would be interesting to get your thoughts and comments.  But I am still mulling this over.

Tonight is another date night with Jamey.  I am very much looking forward to it.  In fact, I need to go make myself presentable now.  That way, when Joshua has his quiet time, I can sit down and edit a little more on my book. 

Sometimes I still can't believe I wrote a whole book.  Shoot, sometimes I can't believe I have enough to write about for a whole blog entry.  I wonder where this new, creative outlet of mine came from?  I mean, it really was quite out of the blue.  I liked English, and writing in school and all, but I never ever thought I'd actually come up with a whole story that was long enough to be considered a book and everything.  Jamey and I saw our friend, Richard, last night.  I told him about the contest.  And he said, "Are you finished with the book yet?"  And I told him I got it done in about six weeks.  That shocked him I think.  It still shocks me.  Once I started, I couldn't type it fast enough. 

I hope they all go like that.  I mean for however many I write.  I also have been told I should attend some writing workshops.  There's one next weekend, and I think I might actually go to it.  I would have never done that in my "prior" life.  The life where I was so mired down in mommyhood or wifehood that I sometimes don't think I ever had a thought for myself.  I am so glad I am expanding my horizons beyond these two places.  Don't get me wrong.  They are great places.  I love being a mom.  I love being a wife.  But now I am starting to love being Carolyn too. 

I hope you don't mind listening to these thoughts that rattle around in my brain.  I hope they are at least entertaining.  So all I am thinking about is book book book book book book book.  Can you tell?

At least I'll hopefully have a fun post about date night for you soon.  I hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. You are totally right- I think that it is gutsy to send in your story- and I will NEVER think any less of you if you don't win- I'll just be thinking the judges must have been idiots =-)

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.