Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spreading a Message for My Friend Joel

I did my first day of substituting at Jman's preschool.  May I just say it was really fun?  I enjoyed it very much. 

And oh nooooooo.  I couldn't help myself.  I swear it just kind of happened. . . I wrote a little bit on my next book this morning.

I know I know.  I know what you are thinking.  I just said I wasn't going to.  I would like to be able to say that someone was holding a gun to my head and told me they would kill me if I didn't start on my next one.  But that didn't happen.  Ooooopsie.  I also know what else you are thinking, and I promise, I still will continue to edit the first book.  OK?  I promise. 

But can I also just say that I am super really really excited about the one I just started?  I am itching to write more.  Calm down, Carolyn.  Breathe.  Seriously. 

OK.  So now that I got that little admission out of the way, I am going to write about two really extraordinary things.  They are very different from each other.  One of them may offend you if you don't have the same views as I do, but I hope you read about it, look at the link, and maybe change your thinking just a little.

The first thing is this whole Chile miner rescue operation.  Can I just say:  wow!  I stayed up and watched the first one being brought out last night.  It was utterly amazing to watch.  I bawled when they showed the capsule come out of the ground.  Then they showed that first miner's little boy, and I really lost it.  I am praying for all the remaining miners to get out safely.  I also pray that the effects, both physically and mentally, are as short-lived as possible and that they lead healthy long lives.  Thank you to alllllll the people responsible for bringing these guys to the surface. 

Now on to what I really want to talk about today.

This is for my friend, Joel Burns.  Joel and I met in Fort Worth, TX.  I lived there with my husband for a couple of years.  Joel and I worked together for a while.  Now Joel is a City Councilman.  He had to be elected and everything.  I wish I could have been there when he was, because he really is just a superb human being.  He also happens to be gay.  He has a wonderful partner, JD.  JD is as awesome as Joel is.  They are a loving couple who are totally devoted to each other.  

Joel recently spoke at a City Council meeting in regards to the bullying episodes that have resulted in the suicides of several young gay people in our country over the past few weeks and months.  These have been because of people who were bullying these young people.  I want to share Joel's message with everyone here.  He says it so much better than I ever could.  Joel, I am proud to know you and JD.  I am proud to call you my friends.  I love you both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4

I hope you all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.