Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why Didn't I Keep Up My Computer Skills?

I used to be so good with computers.  It seems like ever since Jamey and I made the choice for me to stay home to raise our little munchkin (who, by the way, is so excited about trick or treating tonight.  And is also so disappointed that our pumpkin never got carved), I have lost all my computer skills. 

I used to never be afraid to try to fix or find a solution to a problem I was having.  But I guess I have figured out that, without a good IT department, I have lost a little bit of my boldness. . .

Today I sat down and it dawned on me that I could make my very own Facebook page that sort of "advertises" my blog.  And that if I did that, and I was lucky, I might be able to get some more followers.  So I set out to do this.  It took me - forever.  And I still am not sure I've done it right.  I tried to kind of copy someone else's page.  But it was super hard.  I also think I've added a "like" button on my real blog page.  So that if someone finds it and they like the blog, they are supposed to be able to click the like button and it shows up on their likes and all.  But I have no idea if it actually works or not. . .

My mom sometimes calls me with problems on her computer.  I used to be able to help her with almost anything.  But recently, I find myself saying more often than not, "Um, mom.  I have no idea how to fix that."  I mean, she really comes up with some doozies.  I wonder occasionally if she does it on purpose just to see how flustered she can get me.  (Is that true mom?  If it is, stop it.)

I know you are supposed to "use it or lose it" with computer skills.  And I let mine go too long.  Oopsie.  I might be hard to market when I re-enter the work force.  That's why this writing thing really just needs to work out.  Because I at least know how to turn on a computer, pull up a new or saved document, and type.  Even when Jman is talking to me.  That's called multitasking.  I'm really good at that.

I started more writing on my second book yesterday too.  I didn't have quite as clear an idea about how this one would look when I started writing it, but it is becoming more and more clear.  And I think I like it even better than the first one I wrote.  I hope one day you all will be able to really read them - like in real book form!  :)    I just couldn't take it anymore and needed to write some on it.  But I am still editing the first - at least the first 50 pages.  I have till December 15 to get it in tip top shape, so I am taking my time with it, for now at least. 

Well, I am going to publish this and see if that little "like" button is still there.  And then I'm going to look at my Facebook page (which is called Carolyn's Blog if you want to find it and "like" that page) and see if I can figure out what else to do with it to make it more appealing.  I need to mention vampires on it somewhere, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna say something? Cool. But I reserve the right to make fun of you if I want to.